Want to improve your fire safety?
Specify FR3 fluid.
Each utility’s main goal is to provide safe, reliable and affordable energy to the consumers and communities they serve. Envirotemp FR3 fluid can play an important role in helping to achieve those goals.
Since its introduction and over a million power and distribution installations across 30 countries, there has not been a single reported fire-related failure with FR3 fluid-filled transformers.
Fire point is the most critical factor when specifying transformer fire safety
FR3 fluid is a FM Approved, UL certified K-class, less flammable fluid. It’s 360°C fire point is the highest of any dielectric fluid more than twice that of mineral oil (160°C) and 50°C higher than synthetic esters (310°C).
The reason why fire point is so critical to fire safety is to understand what it takes for a fire to start in a transformer:
- If a fault does happen in a transformer, most of the energy vaporises molecules generating combustible gases, while a small amount starts to heat the fluid.
- If there is a breach in the transformer tank, the gases escape and are exposed to oxygen. If there is a source of ignition, the combustible gases will ignite.
- And, if the fluid is at or near its fire point, a pool fire would result.
Fire safety with FR3 filled transformers
In a FR3 fluid-filled transformer, the differential between the operating temperature (110°C) and FR3 fluid’s fire point (360°C) is so significant compared to mineral oil’s fire point (160°C), it is nearly impossible for the entire amount of fluid to be at or near its fire point.
- Inside a transformer, it would require a high temperature fault lasting many minutes to raise FR3 fluid’s from operating temperature to its fire point.
- If there were a ‘combustible gas’ flame outside the breached tank, the gas flame would extinguish because FR3 fluid wouldn’t be anywhere near its fire point and no pool fire would occur.
What does this mean for your organisation?
- Increased safety in highly populated areas such as residential communities, malls, restaurants and parks
- Increased worker safety during routine maintenance
- Increased first responder safety during an emergency
- Elimination of fire mitigation, deluge systems and fire walls
- Reduced clearances to buildings and other equipment
- Potentially reduced insurance premiums due to using a less flammable fluid in transformer systems
- Avoid costly fire restorations (liability and property damage, transformer replacement costs)
Implementing the benefits
We’ve worked with utilities and their OEM partners across Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific to provide safer, more reliable transformer systems – in both new and retrofilled applications. FR3 fluid is an easy, proven option for any fire prevention strategy. So rather than wait and hope a fire doesn’t happen, be proactive and choose FR3 fluid to help prevent them from happening in the first place.
Contact our team to help you increase your fire safety by incorporating FR3 fluid into your power and distribution transformer fleets.